Current Size: 100%
Railway Budget 2009-10
Excerpts from the speech of Kumari Mamata Banerjee, Minister of Railways, introducing the Railway Budget 2009-2010 on 3rd July 2009 (para numbers as in original speech)
Highlights for North Eastern Region and Sikkim
World Class Stations
12. Develop about 50 stations as world class stations with international level facilities. These will be developed, through innovative financing and in Public Private Partnership mode - Guwahati
Multi-functional Complexes (MFCs)
14. Construction of Multi-functional Complexes in 50 station premises for providing rail users facilities like shopping, food stalls and restaurants, book stalls, PCO/STD/ISD/Fax booths, medicine & variety stores, budget hotels, underground parking etc. Responsibility for development of these facilities will be
entrusted to IRCON and Rail Land Development Authority (RLDA) - Silchar
32. Medical colleges are planned to be established attached to existing railway hospitals through PPP, to give higher education facilities to new generation of railway children - Guwahati
40. Madam, you may be aware that our country at present suffers an unacceptable loss of about Rs. 35-40,000 crore every year towards wastage of fruits and vegetables. I am happy to inform the House about the contribution Railways proposes to make to the second green revolution by introducing special trains to carry perishable products like fruits and vegetables, fish etc from identified production clusters to consumer centres, by way of maintaining quality and freshness of perishable produce. Railways will encourage creation of facilities of setting up cold storage and temperature controlled perishable cargo centres and its transportation through public private partnership mode. For this purpose, Railways will associate professional agency to identify locations and designing proper services.
a. New Introductions
16. Dibrugarh Town – Chandigarh Express (Weekly)
32. New Delhi – Guwahati Rajdhani Express (Weekly) via Muzaffarpur
44. Guwahati – New Cooch Behar Express Intercity (Daily)
47. Dharmanagar- Agartala Fast Passenger (Daily)
b. Extension of Trains
9. 5761/5762 Ranchi- Alipurduar to Guwahati (Bi-weekly)
76. Additional Funds to the tune of Rs 1949 cr have been sought from Ministry of Finance for National Projects of Jiribam-Imphal Road, Dimapur-Kohima, Azra-Byrnihat, Kumarghat-Agartala, Bhairabi-Sairong, Agartala – Sabrum and Sivok – Rangpo new lines, Bogibeel Rail-cum Road Bridge, Lumding-Silchar-Jiribam and Rangia-Murkongselek gauge conversion.
83. Madam, the Northeast region is very sensitive and its projects are in progress for providing connectivity to state capitals of Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram. In recognition of this, ten rail projects in this region have been declared as National projects, including projects like Bogibeel rail cum road bridge and gauge conversion of Lumding-Silchar-Jiribam, Rangia-Murkongselek. The construction of national project in Sikkim from Sivok to Rangpo is proposed to be entrusted to IRCON for time bound completion. The surveys for new lines connecting Gangtok and Shillong have been completed and the proposals would be further processed for necessary clearances. A proposal for creation of Northeast Region Rail Development Fund has already been initiated to ensure necessary funds for timely completion of National Projects in the region.
84. The work of Lumding-Silchar gauge conversion is getting adversely affected due to adverse law and order conditions in the area. The matter has been taken up with the concerned authorities for providing necessary security so that the work could progress smoothly.
85. I am going to entrust responsibility for monitoring all national projects to a senior officer so that there is strict adherence to time schedules for completion.
89. Creation of infrastructure - propose to process the following rail connectivity proposals.
a. New Lines: 53. Mirik-Gangtok