Current Size: 100%
Railway Budget 2010-11
Excerpts from the speech of Kumari Mamata Banerjee, Minister of Railways, introducing the Railway Budget 2010-11 on 24th February 2010 (para numbers as in original speech)
Highlights for North Eastern Region and Sikkim
25. Construction of Multi-functional Complexes in the coming year at - Agartala, Dibrugargh Town, Dimapur .
Wagon Manufacturing Factories
72. I propose to set up five state-of-the-art wagon factories in JV/PPP mode at Secunderabad, Barddhaman, Bhubaneshwar/Kalahandi, Guwahati and Haldia.
88. We maintain good relations with our neighbours. Railway systems in these countries are facing several problems due to their relatively small and isolated networks. The Trans-Asian Railway network provides a great opportunity for their integration. Our Prime Minister and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh recently agreed to undertake the work to provide rail link between Akhaura on Bangladesh side and Agartala on Indian side. This link would also provide a shorter rail route between West Bengal and the north-eastern region via Bangladesh.
Socially Desirable Rail Connectivity Proposals
102. Socially desirable projects connecting backward areas - Many proposals for such connectivity have been pending for a long time. It is proposed to update the surveys for the following lines and thereafter these will be processed through Planning Commission for necessary approvals:
- Barpeta Road-Tihu (Assam)
- Chaparmukh-Dibrugarh (Assam)
- Jogighopa to Silchar via Panchratna (Assam)
- Lalabazar-Vairengte (Mizoram)
- Lekhapani-Kharsang (Meghalaya)
- Murkongselek-Pasighat (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh)
- Naginimora-Amguri (Nagaland, Assam)
- Rangpo-Gangtok (Sikkim)
- Rupai-Parashuramkund via Mahadevpur, Namsai,Chingkham (Arunachal Pradesh)
- Salna-Khumtai (Assam)
- Sarthebari – Changsari (Assam)
- Tuli-Tuli Road (Nagaland)
103. On the basis of requests received from the Hon'ble Members, State Government and others, the following surveys are proposed to be taken up:
New Line Surveys
vi. Jogigopa to Guwahati via Barpeta, Sarthebari
vii. North Lakhimpur-Along-Silapathar
ii. Guwahati- Lumding- Tinsukhia- Dibrugarh
104. Propose to draw up a Master Plan for the development of rail infrastructure in the Northeast region in consultation with the Northeast Development Council and the state authorities concerned.
106. In the northeast, ten projects have been declared as National Projects and adequate funds are being provided. The progress on some of the projects is getting affected by adverse law and order condition. However, Lumding-Silchar gauge conversion project has been given special priority for expeditious completion.
107. The work of Byrnihat-Shillong has also been included in this Budget as a National Project for providing rail connectivity to the capital of Meghalaya.
109. The following sections are proposed to be completed in 2010-11 are:
ix. New Coochbehar – Golakgunj of New Maynaguri – Jogighopa
113. The sections which have either been completed or will be completed during 2009-10 are:
vii. Fakiragaram – Dhubri
viii. Haibargaon – Mairabari
124. In addition to above, feasibility studies for the following sections will be undertaken:
viii. New Bongoigaon-Jogighopa-Kamakhya
137. The following unreserved trains are being proposed for the common people:
ii. Guwahati-Mumbai(Weekly) via Howrah-Tatanagar-Jharsuguda-Bilaspur-Nagpur
143. In addition to the above, in view of the increasing demand of the assengers, the following long distance new services are being proposed:
xl. Alipurduar – Lumding Intercity Express (Daily)
xli. Guwahati - Mariani Intercity Express (Daily)
145. A large volume of Rail travel consists of short distance traffic. This traffic which utilizes conventional passenger trains, MEMUs and DEMUs has been showing encouraging growth and to address to this segment of traffic, the following passenger trains are proposed to be introduced during the year 2010-11:
xvii. Dharmanagar-Manu Passenger (Tripura)
xxiii. Fakiragram-Dhubri Passenger (after gauge conversion)
Extension of trains
viii. 2235/2236 New Delhi - Guwahati Rajdhani Express to Dibrugarh