Current Size: 100%
East West Corridor
East West Corridor Project in NER
(status as on March, 2012)
In the North East, the East-West Corridor starts at Srirampur and ends at Silchar. This project aims to improve the connectivity of the North Eastern Region with the rest of India through a 670 kms long four-lane divided highway between Srirampur and Silchar. The Corridor does not go beyond Assam. Entire East West Corridor is targeted for completion by Dec, 2011 to Dec, 2012 except the five packages of NC Hills district re-awarded for the balance work targeted for completion March, 2014. Reasons for delay, inter-alia, problems inland acquisition, forest clearance for cutting trees, transfer of electric poles, etc.
- Total length in NER (only Assam covered) - 670 km
- Cost - Rs.7145.10 crore
- Starts from Assam/West Bengal Border (km 0 of NH-31C) at Srirampur and ends at Silchar (km 306.25 of NH-54).
- Passes through Silchar, Maibong, Lumding, Daboka, Nagaon, Sonapur, Guwahati, Nalbari and Bijni
|Four laning completed||
|Under Implementation||621 km|
|4-laning completed up to Feb, 12||371 km|
|To be awarded after completion of 2 laning by State PWD||31 km*|
* The stretch of 31 km from Balachera to Herangajo is being widened from single lane to two lanes by the State PWD. Clearance for Borail Wild Life and Borail Reserve forest is awaited. Four laning would be done after completion of two lane by PWD, Assam.
- 621 Km (under implementation) comprises of 26 contract packages.
- Most of the contracts were awarded in November/December 2005.
- All the contractors had mobilized to site and works are in progress except in 5 contract packages in Dima Hasao district in Assam where the work has been stopped by the contractors since April'2008 due to non-handing over of encumbrance free site and law & order situation. All the five civil packages of NC Hills district had been foreclosed and re-awarded.
- Entire East West Corridor is targeted for completion by Dec, 2011 to Dec, 2012 except the five packages of NC Hills district re-awarded for the balance work targeted for completion March, 2014.
Packagewise Progress (Total 26)
- The average progress for the contract packages is 69.93 % as in March, 2012 except for 5 Projects in Dima Hasao district (Details in Annexure-I(114 KB)).
- Projects completed - 3
- Projects where progress is more than 85% - 3
- Projects where progress is 60 to 85%. - 9
- Projects where the progress is 40 to 60%. - 4
- Projects where the progress is 20 to 40%. - 2